Venison Sourdough Toast
Courtesy of chef Jesse Morris •
Jalapeño relish Instructions:
1. Dice jalapeños. Leave seeds in if you like a spicier relish or remove for a milder relish.
2. In saucepan add 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup vinegar and diced jalapeños. Bring to a boil, taking care to not overcook the jalapeños to retain the color. Remove from heat and refrigerate.
SUN-DRIED TOMATO MAYONnAISE INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Fine-chop the sun-dried tomatoes and mix with mayo.
Venison Tenderloin and Mushrooms Instructions:
1. Season tenderloin with salt and pepper.
2. In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add tenderloin. Brown all sides.
3. Add mushrooms and 2 tablespoons butter. Continue to cook, basting tenderloin until internal temperature reaches 125-130 degrees. Remove from pan and let rest for 15 minutes, then slice thinly.
4. Slice sourdough into 1/4-inch slices and toast in a pan with butter until browned on both sides. Spread mayo mixture on toast. With a small torch sear the mayo mixture; you can also put in the broiler for a minute or two (this is optional but a great touch).
5. Assemble the toast, rolling slices of tenderloin and alternating venison and mushroom until toast is covered. Spoon some of the relish over the top along with a bit of the juice. Squeeze a small wedge of the lemon over the top and enjoy.
A GUIDE TO WHITE-TAILED DEER
» Like this story? If you enjoy reading articles like this, subscribe to Texas Parks & Wildlife magazine.